Hello, we’re Starling. We built a new kind of bank because we knew technology had the power to help people save, spend and manage their money in a new and transformative way. We’re a fully licensed UK bank with the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive tech company. We’re a bank, but better: fairer, easier to use and designed to demystify money for everyone. We employ more than 2,500 people across our London, Southampton, Cardiff and Manchester offices.
As a Payment Fraud Prevention Associate, you will be part of a team of an experienced and knowledgeable team, covering shifts on a rota around the clock including some bank holidays. You will work closely with the wider operation, with a main focus on dealing with customers with the aim of preventing them falling victim to scams.
This role will operate on a shift pattern – 37.5hrs a week (5×7.5hr shifts), on a 5 week rotation pattern structured as follows:
Week 1 – Monday to Friday – 13:30 – 22:00
Week 2 – Monday to Friday – 09:00 – 17:30
Week 3 – Monday to Thursday – 09:00 – 17:30 & Saturday – Sunday 13:30 – 22:00
Week 4 – Tuesday & Friday 09:00 – 17:30 and Wednesday & Sunday 06:00 – 14:30
Week 5 – Monday to Tuesday & Thursday to Saturday 06:00 – 14:30
Training for the role:
We have a 6 week training programme which is run from the office so you’ll need to be able to commit to being in the office every day for your first 6 weeks with us. The training gives you all of the skills and support you need to succeed at Starling!
We offer hybrid working; once your training has been completed, you’ll spend around 20% of the time in the office with your team and 80% working from home.
- Completing outbound calls to customers, identifying possible impersonation attempts and scams to minimise fraud risk, financial loss and regulatory breaches.
- Review payments completed by customers based on information provided to prevent scams from taking place.
- Working to a high standard, meeting strict timeframes whilst working under pressure.
- Communicating directly with customers following unauthorised and authorised fraud claims, through in-app messages or via telephony to establish circumstances and additional information, before providing a fair and logical decision, with supporting rationale.
- Document research findings and actions on cases for possible referrals for suspicious activity, identity theft operations and suspected money laundering
- Work as part of a team and supporting colleagues as and when required in order to reduce workload(s).
- Ensuring tickets are prioritised and worked within SLA to provide the best possible customer experience, especially when they’re a victim of fraud.
- Proactively identifying financial crime trends through data analysis and sharing findings with leadership as and when required.
- Keen interest in stopping Fraud whilst considering the impact of how an investigation can impact genuine customers.
- You will have 1 years’ experience in a Retail Bank environment, desirably within a Customer Service function.
- Experience using fraud detection and reporting systems, such as CIFAS and SIRA is desirable.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and orally.
- A team player who is also able to work independently to deliver in a fast-paced work environment.
- Attention to detail, with the ability to act with urgency and escalate issues as and when necessary.
- Ability to liaise with different teams and stakeholders with confidence to assist your investigations.
- Strong interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Ability to understand complex problems and identify potential solutions.
- Able to adapt to change positively and quickly.
- Experience of working in a telephony environment and have the skills to speak to customers confidently, demonstrating the core values which are aligned with Starling’s ‘tone of voice’.
- 25 days holiday (plus take your public holiday allowance whenever works best for you)
- An extra day’s holiday for your birthday
- Annual leave is increased with length of service, and you can choose to buy or sell up to five extra days off
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Salary sacrifice, company enhanced pension scheme
- Life insurance at 4x your salary & group income protection
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth including mental health support and cancer care. Partner benefits include discounts with Waitrose, Mr&Mrs Smith and Peloton
- Generous family-friendly policies
- Incentives refer a friend scheme
- Perkbox membership giving access to retail discounts, a wellness platform for physical and mental health, and weekly free and boosted perks
- Access to initiatives like Cycle to Work, Salary Sacrificed Gym partnerships and Electric Vehicle (EV) leasing
About us:You may be put off applying for a role because you don’t tick every box. Forget that! While we can’t accommodate every flexible working request, we’re always open to discussion. So, if you’re excited about working with us, but aren’t sure if you’re 100% there yet, get in touch anyway.We’re on a mission to radically reshape banking – and that starts with our brilliant team. Whatever came before, we’re proud to bring together people of all backgrounds and experiences who love working together to solve problems.
Starling Bank is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Starling Bank are considered without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Starling Bank may collect your personal data for recruiting and related purposes. Our Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over our use of your personal information.