Job Title: Software Development Manager – WEB
Job Type: Full Time
Are you an experienced Software Development Manager specialising in Web applications, or similar role such as a Team Leader, Senior/Principal Engineer looking for that next step in your career?
We are changing things up and forming a brand new Digital Technology team here at Wickes. We’re looking for people who can drive our digital transformation forwards. Top talent with ideas, ambition and vision. People who can make an impact will thrive here. Help us put tech solutions at the heart of our business. This might just be the opportunity you’ve been waiting for.
As part of our Digital Technology team and reporting into our Head of Engineering – Digital Commerce, we have created a new role. You will own and manage the technical aspects of our web platform and be responsible for overseeing and managing the development of web software applications. Your role will involve leading an offshore team of developers, Working closely with Development Managers in the Apps and Services space and coordinating projects and ensuring the successful delivery of high-quality web solutions.
The role will be critical to the success of Wickes business as we embark on a 5 year transformation journey. Transforming the digital technology and infrastructure to support multiple channels is central to the success of Wickes.
- You will need a strong technical background, leadership skills, and a strategic mindset to ensure the platform’s success, performance, and alignment with business objectives.
- You’ll be able to think outside the box, and own the technical health of the web platform, nurturing the performance, optimisation and delivery of technical projects as well as implementing and maintaining best practices for web development, including selecting appropriate technologies, frameworks, and tools.
- You’re comfortable with terms like CWV, SSR/SSG, PWA, WCAG, CORS, HTTP and concepts such as modularisation, load balancing, distributions and DAST/SAST.
- With solid, effective communication, you will be able to build strong relationships with various stakeholders within the business, including business users, project managers, executives, and cross functional departments.
- With a proven track record in leading and motivating software development teams, 3rd parties both onshore and offshore.
- Previous project management skills would be advantageous for you to be able to plan, organise, and coordinate projects, experience with agile methodologies, such as Scrum or Kanban would be beneficial.
Does this sound like you?
- A historical view of the background of web technologies, we have an old monolith platform that needs an overhaul. An appreciation of older technologies (JSP/ASP etc) would also help!
- A healthy passion for what goes on “under the hood” is beneficial, knowing how the web works to a deeper level than just what we see through Browsers and apps. Experience with developing for cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP) and CI/CD into containerization technologies
- A critical thinker, strong problem-solving and trouble-shooting skills.
- You’ll have great interpersonal skills and an ability to build strong relationships at all levels and be able to influence the direction of the web platform.
What’s in it for you?
Our strong family values and ‘cornerstones’ lie at the heart of the success of our journey. If matching your ambition to our culture is an exciting prospect, there’s never been a better time to join us.
We’re a team. And teams work best together when they know and respect one another. Listen and learn from one another. So we offer a hybrid working model. Giving you the support you need to do well at work, and the flexibility to make life work for you.
We’ll also equip you with a benefits package that includes:
- Competitive package including an annual bonus and car allowance
- 25 Days holiday plus bank holidays
- Contributory Pension and Life Assurance
- Flexible Hybrid working (2-3 days in Watford)
- Save-as-you-earn scheme
- Colleague discount
- Discount platform including savings and cash back at numerous retailers, savings on gym membership, cycle to work scheme
Our widely recognised wellbeing strategy is something we’re proud of at Wickes. As part of this, we offer a range of health and wellbeing benefits and support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, financial education & loans, and access to parental, menopause, and fertility support.
We are a multi-channel retailer operating in the home improvement market. With 40 years in industry, we now generate revenue in excess of £1.3Bn across 230 stores delivered by 8,000+ colleagues.
We care for our people – and we look out for one another. Everyone has a voice. We’re ambitious, but we’re inclusive, supportive and down-to-earth with it. Anyone can build on their talent and expect our support to get on.
Please contact us here if you require any adjustments within the application process. If you require any reasonable adjustments at the interview stage you will have an opportunity to inform us when we invite you to interview. Please note, this link is only for reasonable adjustments required – general enquiries, or direct CV applications cannot be accepted via this form.
We want to move fast, what are you waiting for, apply now, application closing date of 28th July.