Founded in 1968 Griffiths are one of the leading civil engineering and construction organisations working in Wales, the English border counties, and the West of England. We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Plant Maintenance Apprentice to be based from our Head Office in Abergavenny, South Wales. We are open to applications from candidates who live in; or can commute from some of the following areas – Abergavenny, Blaenavon, Ebbw Vale, Newport, Cardiff, Pontypridd, Cwmbran, Cross Keys, Risca, Merthyr Tydfil, Caerphilly, Blackwood, Barry, Porthcawl, Penarth, Rumney, Monmouth, Aberdare and the surrounding areas.
As part of a global business in CRH and a Business Unit of Tarmac PLC, the career opportunities are limitless. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry.
The Plant Maintenance Apprentice will be initially 2 years to attain a Level 2 qualification and on successful completion the focus will be to develop you to Level 3 qualification, which will culminate into a combined 4-year apprenticeship learning programme. Alongside this learning, you will also be an integral member of the plant maintenance team. You will work on all of our vehicle plant servicing, maintenance, repairs and improvements to ensure maximum reliability of all our plant vehicles. You will play an important role in keeping UK infrastructure moving, an exciting role where you can see the outputs of your hard work all around you (quite literally!)
The role of Plant Maintenance Apprentice will be block release, so a mix of college in Bridgend and working at our workshop in Abergavenny.
Please note: This Apprenticeship is to commence September 2023, so we are looking at school/college/university leavers or those looking for a change of career who are readily available
Key focus of Plant Maintenance Apprentice position, not exhaustive:
- Learn your craft, gaining a detailed understanding of maintenance through a dedicated Alun Griffiths development programme
- Working to learn how our servicing and maintenance is in accordance with manufacturers recommendations and instructions, additionally liaising with the Maintenance Team, Workshop Manager and Manufactures to ensure this is carried out
- Learning about the management of vehicle servicing schedules, reasons why keeping downtime to a minimum with timely and safe adherence to the servicing plan is key to developing as a skilled trades person, whilst complying to all relevant statutory legislation and the internal company Safety, Health and Environmental standards
- Working with the team to improve vehicle plant performance whilst maintaining safety, maintenance and asset reliability
- Learning about stock of items that are in regular use and looking at our systems for re-ordering and ordering specialist parts to ensure all servicing can be carried out
- Have pride in your workplace, this will be both in the workshop or supporting experienced colleagues by going to our other sites
- Taking pride in all work completed and being determined to succeed!
What you get from us:
- Your line manager and mentor will give you help and guidance throughout your apprenticeship programme
- Your Operational colleagues, who most of your daily interactions will be with will provide support and knowledge
- Health and Safety Team, always on hand to make sure we are working safely, although safety is everyone’s responsibility!
- Human Resources, here to support the development of your career with Alun Griffiths
To be successful for this role the ideal candidate for the position of Plant Maintenance Apprentice will have, or be able to demonstrate:
- GCSE Grade 4 / C or above in Mathematics and English
- Full UK Manual Car Driving Licence with no more than 6 Penalty Points
- Willing to travel between College and Griffiths head office in Abergavenny
- Organisational, Communication and Analytical skills
- Passionate about working safely #worksafe #homesafe
- Enthusiastic and motivated about starting a career
Location: Abergavenny, Gwent, Wales
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/47943/4854