At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
We are currently looking for a suitably qualified and experienced Planing Foreperson to join our ‘NRP’ (National Road Planing) team based in Thatcham, Berkshire. This role is easily commutable from Newbury, Reading, Andover, Swindon, Oxford, Abingdon, Slough, Basingstoke, High Wycombe, Maidenhead and the surrounding areas.
We’re working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
As the Planing Foreperson you will report directly to the Supervisor/Contract Manager.
You will have worked in the Planing industry with essential experience of working on Highways Planing projects. Other responsibilities for this role will include:
You as the Planing Foreperson will be responsible for:
- Manage machine, vehicles and personnel, ensuring you and they are properly informed and equipped to carry out tasks, recording any defects on the daily plant defect sheet and reporting them straight away
- Employees have relevant proof of identification and competency, ensuring all operatives and sub-contractors are trained and authorised to undertake their duties and are all wearing the required PPE. including approved communication headsets
- Manage and comply with all safety requirements, compliance with company standards and procedures for employees and sub-contractors using the daily briefing process and Tool Box Talks
- Complete site-specific documentation. (ie Site Record Sheet and Environmental Assessment)
- Attend site specific induction/briefing prior to starting work
- Encourage challenges of safety issues, report these challenges using the Safety Observation, Near Hit/Miss process
- Complete operatives timesheets accurately and ensure accurate hours recorded by sub-contractors and signed for
- Fuel – Discuss travel arrangements, ensuring vans are populated and avoid idling of both machines and vans reducing fuel usage
- Ensure environmental processes and best practice across the contract
As our ideal Planing Foreperson, you will have (not exhaustive):
- Essential – You will be experienced using a road planer
- Essential – Understanding of surfacing methods to determine the correct approach to the planing task
- Essential – Knowledge of planing machine capabilities and the ability to contribute to the operation
- Essential – CSCS Qualification
- Essential – NVQ level 2 in a role related discipline
- Essential – MPQC/EPIC Competency Card
- Essential – Full UK car driving licence
- Developing People – help develop operatives to become multi skilled with the ability and confidence to step into different roles
- Communication and Team Work – Involve others; encourage others to express their views and ideas and listen well to what they say; build team spirit and a positive working environment
- Flexibility – Change own approach in line with new priorities; reflect on situations and learn from experience; be open to feedback from others, taking time to listen; keep up-to-date with specific technical and functional skills
- Thinking Skills – Consider all potential causes and underlying causes of a problem; quickly identify the cause of a problem; take full ownership for resolving problems and implementing actions
It is essential due to the role that the successful candidate for the position of Planing Foreperson has previous working experience in this sector.
Salary: Highly Competitive + Bonus + Shift + OT
Location: Reading, Berkshire, England
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/115/2855