Engineering Specialist – Projects – Full Time
We’re National Grid Electricity Distribution (NGED), the owner and operator behind the electricity distribution systems for the Midlands, the Southwest of England and South Wales. Serving communities of more than 8 million people, our expert teams deliver heat, light and power for homes and businesses, working outdoors with underground cables, overhead lines and substations that operate between 230 and 132,000 volts.
Net-zero targets are transforming the way we work and increasing the scope of the positive impact we can make. Right now, we’re looking for an Engineering Specialist to join us.
An opportunity is available for an Engineering Specialist in the Projects team, based at our Grantham depot. Reporting to the Team Manager, the Engineering Specialist will be responsible for the installation and commissioning of a combination of Underground, Overhead, Plant and Protection systems depending on experience and aptitude on the distribution network and at non-operational sites up to and including 132kV.
*Please note the successful candidate may initially be appointed at a lower salary until all relevant courses and training are complete.
If you are offered a position, you will be required to successfully complete a basic DBS check that shows any unspent convictions or conditional cautions.
As an equal opportunities employer who is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, we celebrate individual difference and are actively bringing in more employees from diverse backgrounds to build on our inclusive culture. We anonymise all jobs in our recruitment system, so we can eliminate unconscious bias and be a workplace that reflects the community we serve.
Hiring managers only have access to necessary information after shortlisting has taken place and before interview so they can prepare.
interview to allow managers to prepare.
- Installation and commissioning of Underground, Overhead, Plant and Protection systems on the 132kV and 33kV network.
- Location and restoration of complex faults.
- Development in the use of fault location and protection testing equipment.
- Advise own and other team members on innovations in electricity network management and automation.
- Identify training needs of own and other team members and provide training as necessary on automation.
- Liaise with other specialists within the Company.
- Train appropriate staff on the operational aspects of automatic systems.
- Keep abreast equipment and automation system developments.
- Determine what will be done in the short term within known constraints.
- Carry out network operations including the issue of all safety documents up to 132kV.
- Determine what is required and how the work will be carried out.
- Issue planned shutdown notices, make appointments with customers.
- Exercise leadership. Request assistance when outside capability or authority.
- Alter own short term programme to meet changes in circumstances, within constraints.
- Assisting with the assessment and authorisation of operational staff
- You will be required to undertake the Standby Manager on a rota as part of this appointment.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate is required to have a Level 3 City & Guilds 2339 and if not already attained will be required to undertake HNC Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
Evidence of your qualifications will be required prior to appointment.
If necessary appropriate training and support will be given in order for the successful candidate to realise their full potential within the role.
About the Company
If this is your opportunity to join us, you’ll find we offer a supportive, rewarding and friendly working environment where you’ll be empowered to build a career. Along the way, you’ll be invested in, be enabled by the latest technology and find that we’re always interested in evolving our systems and processes so that we get even better, every day.
In return, you’ll enjoy a package of benefits designed to reward your hard work and incentivise your ambition. In addition to your competitive salary, we offer a competitive contributory pension scheme where the company will double match your pension contributions up to a maximum company contribution of 10%. You will also have access, subject to eligibility criteria, to join our annual Share Save plan.
You will receive a generous annual leave entitlement on joining, starting at 26 days rising to 28 days following 10 years’ service, plus 8 bank holidays. In addition, you will be able to access support via our Employee Assistance Programme, including musculoskeletal and physiotherapy services.
Additional Application Information
Recruitment correspondence is usually sent by email, so please do check your email account including spam/junk folders regularly after the closing date.
To enhance your candidate experience, we recommend using Google Chrome to complete your online application. Should you have any questions regarding this or require additional support to complete your online application, please contact us.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy early should sufficient numbers of suitable applications be received. We recommend that you submit your application as soon as possible.