Are you a dynamic, engaging Qualified Solicitor, Barrister or Legal Executive with recent relevant contentious and non-contentious construction law experience? Would you like to lead on construction contract disputes and adjudications?
At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
We are recruiting a dynamic, enthusiastic Construction Counsel to join our team based in the West Midlands. This vital role will be responsible for providing construction law support to Tarmac businesses, leading on construction contract-based disputes. In conjunction with our National Managing Surveyors, you will also design and implement a construction disputes strategy and provide general support to the business in legal compliance and risk management.
This is a hybrid working role based out of our Tarmac Solihull office so it is easily accessible from Birmingham, Solihull, Coventry, Tamworth and across the West Midlands and East Midlands.
Here at Tarmac, we are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
Reporting to the Senior Legal Manager, the role of Construction Counsel will be responsible for providing strategic advice on NEC based supply and construction contracts throughout the Tarmac business and leading on construction contract disputes and adjudications, with support from quantity surveyors. You will also lead on construction contract reviews (eg: NEC, JCT, FIDIC, ICE forms of contract for works and materials supply).
As Construction Counsel you will also be responsible for:
- Working closely with the National Managing Quantity Surveyors in Contracting and National Commercial teams
- Working closely with regional businesses to risk assess existing and new construction contracts, and to support on governance and process
- Working closely with key stakeholders to structure projects in the optimal way for different bids (e.g. via joint ventures, strategic collaboration agreements or alliances, or strategic subcontracts)
- Management and coordination of project-specific subcontracts
- Working with capital procurement team for installation of key fixed assets
- Advising on PFI/PPP projects
- Assisting the wider commercial legal team with commercial and corporate legal support
- Proactive risk management
- Construction contracts training throughout the business
- Creation and maintenance of precedents and toolkits
- External panel and costs management
- Providing legal updates and horizon scanning to team and wider business
The ideal candidate for the role of Construction Counsel will be a qualified Solicitor, Barrister or Legal Executive with recent relevant private practice and/or in-house experience of contentious and non-contentious construction law issues (at least 3 years PQE).
Suitable candidates for the role of Construction Counsel will also possess:
- Ability to identify training needs within the business and to write and deliver training programmes alongside construction legal team colleagues
- Experience of advising key stakeholders at all levels of a business
- Proven skills in creating and maintaining precedents and toolkits
- Capability to be a thought leader in optimal structures and risk management
- Skills to assist the wider commercial legal team with commercial and construction corporate legal support
- Superb communication skills
- Ability to engage, support and influence both with the wider team and stakeholders at all levels
Salary: Excellent Salary + Company Car/Allowance + Bonus + PMI + Benefits
Location: Birmingham, West Midlands, England
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/111/4823